Sunday, July 22, 2012

Use What You Have









OK, I admit it...I'm a bit of a hoarder. LAWRD! I just finished cleaning out my recipe/cookbook cabinet. It was a HOT MESS! I got rid of about 2 years worth of  The Vegetarian Times, Dierbergs Everybody Cooks magazines and those monthly recipe club cards from the 80's and 90's. My husband has been on me for a while to de-clutter this cabinet among other things. Certain closets in my home are kinda "Open at Your Own Risk" situations. He also made the great point that would not be using many of those recipes anyway due to the change in our eating habits. Now that the cabinet is done I see the wheels turning in his head. What will he set his sights on next?!? There are clothes, purses, wigs, kitchen appliances, Hello Kitty EVERYTHING, etc. I have to either use it or lose it. At this rate I'm waiting for Peter Walsh to come banging on my door...LOL. 

He' been making comments about my fitness collection…OH HELL NAW!! This is where I draw the line! Now I DO have a fairly large fitness DVD (and VHS…DON’T JUDGE ME) collection. On last count there were about 70 DVDs, 25 VHS tapes and 10 programs saved on the DVR from the old FitTV days. I also have my fair share of machines and accessories. I knew that I had to come up with a way to take the heat off my beloved collection and well, I came up with something quite awesome I must say.

I always tell my clients that the best workout is the one they will actually DO. I figure what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. I have a wealth of items at my disposal and some of them haven’t even been taken out of the packaging yet. THAT is about to change! I am embarking on a little journey to challenge myself mentally and physically. I have decided to brush off the ole DVD/VHS player and take these workouts for a drive. I will use 1 DVD, VHS, DVR’d program a day until I have gone through my entire collection. Now some of these collections are mulit disk sets and 30 day programs so I’m geared up for a long haul. Sunday’s are my rest days but I have a few stretch DVDs that I can knock out during the first month of this challenge.

Now, I have a tendency to over-schedule my days (something else I’m working on) so I’ve created a consequence for myself if I miss a workout. For each day I blow off a scheduled workout I will have to dig in my closet and give one item to the Goodwill. This will make the hubby happy I’m sure. His half of the clothes closet is currently located in our 9yr olds room.

I know I’m not the only person out here with unused fitness DVDs/equipment, and this is where YOU guys come in! Won’t you join me on this endeavor? When you think about it, it really is one of the simplest challenges ever. You already have everything you need to get started! C’mon…jump in with me.

Having measurable results is key when goal setting. In addition to the goal of getting through the DVDs/products, treadmills, Total Gyms etc, I would also like to see what physical transformation occurs during this timeframe. I will be tracking my weight, inches, and dress/pant size numbers.  I encourage you to do the same. There is ONE small rule however:  do not take your measurements or weigh yourself after day 1 until you have REACHED the goal. My reasoning for this is quite simple. So many of us let that scale determine our mood/attitude and how we see ourselves. I don’t want a temporary day of bloat to discourage anyone.  There is also no meal plan or suggestions with this challenge either. I just want you to get up and USE what you already have.

So there it is. The challenge has been issued. Are you game? I hope you will join me in using what we already have. You can follow my progress on my Facebook page by clicking here. I will be posting a picture of the item I’m working out with/to (if I can find them. Some of these mugs are OLD).

Let’s get it started!!

No comments: