Friday, March 07, 2014

Powerful Moves of the Month-Shoulder Side Lateral Raises

I HATE the mall. It provides too many reminders that I need to step up my workout program, which is difficult right now due to a fibromyalgia flare-up. Last week I was bundled up like an Eskimo minding my own business while walking through the mall. The smell of warm bread was haunting me so I walked up to the 2nd floor and picked up those oh so yummy Auntie Anne's pretzels....with cheese. NO, I wasn't thinking about the calories, fat grams or sodium as I dipped and chomped my way to carb overload! As I made my way down the hall I made the mistake of looking over to my left and saw SWIMSUITS (insert SCREAM here)!!! I immediately lost my appetite.

There's just something wrong with walking into a store with three layers of clothing on and seeing the skimpiest of bikini's hanging on the rack taunting you! Even the one pieces were giving me sit side eye!! Ah, but such is life. Sometimes we need a kick in the pants to get us back on track. Spring is approaching and it is time to get ourselves in shape. Memorial Day is about 12 weeks away and we will not be able to hide our extra pounds under coats, sweaters and jogging suits for much longer.

With the upcoming season in mind, I am introducing my Move of the Month series. Each month I will feature an exercise move for you to incorporate into your fitness routine. Some moves may be familiar with, while others will be new and fresh. Starting us off this month: Shoulder Side Lateral Raises!

Overloading the muscles is key to growth; however, care must be taken to avoid over-training. This is especially true for those that suffer from chronic pain issues. The shoulders are very sensitive and using too much weight can cause injury. Giant drop sets are often used to ensure safety while achieving the muscle failure required for growth and change.

After a 5-10 minute warm-up, place three sets of dumbbells on the floor in front of you (heavy, medium weight and light weight). Begin with the heaviest set of weights, stand with your feet shoulder width apart with elbows slightly bent. Raise the weights laterally for 8-10 reps. Lift the weights no higher than shoulder height. Move immediately to the medium weights for another 8 reps. Complete the set with the lighter weights at 8 reps. DO NOT stop to rest between sets.Finish off with a nice stretch of the shoulder area. You'll be feeling this one in the morning, but the results will be worth it and stretching will minimize the muscle soreness. 

The shoulders are one of the most neglected parts of the body for many women. We tend to focus on cardio and abs while forgetting that well-defined shoulders are critical to a balanced physique. Well developed shoulders will make any spring or summer dress, swimsuit or thinly strapped top look great! Add Side Lateral Raises to your workout and you'll LOVE what you see in the spring!

***Z. Delisa Richardson is an ACE Certified Personal Trainer with over 20 years experience in the fitness industry. for more information contact her at http://www.powerfulfitnessandwellness.com/

DISCLAIMER: Exercise is not without its risks and this or any other exercise program could result in injury. To reduce the risk of injury in your case, consult your physician before beginning this or any other exercise plan. As with any exercise program, if at any point you feel faint, dizzy or have physical discomfort beyond the norm, stop immediately and consult a physician. 


No comments: